This baccalaureate offers the academic foundations to pursue graduate or professional studies in core areas of biology. The curriculum of the Program incorporates an investigative and practical approach, which encourages the student to work in professions related to scientific research.
Our bachelor’s degree in General Biology (BIOG) aims to offer a professional education using biology as the axis that allows the acquisition of skills, knowledge and positive attitudes to serve society, in addition, to develop a study program that prepares biologists with the necessary skills to carry out technological work and with a social conscience that allows them to apply their knowledge for the good of our society.
Curriculum: BIOL (PDF)
- General Biology – Curriculum for admitted, reclassified, and transferred students after August 2020.
- General Biology – Curriculum for admitted, reclassified, and transferred students before August 2020.
Educational Objectives for the Bachelor of Sciences Major in General Biology
After completing the program, the graduate should be able to:
1. Work as a scientist in diverse biological settings, such as research, government, and private industries.
2. Pursue advanced post-graduate and professional degrees.
3. Apply fundamental knowledge to solve problems in its biological context in Puerto Rico and elsewhere.
4. Manifest a deep sense of respect and understanding of culturally diverse people and the environment.
Educational Goals for the Bachelor of Sciences Major in General Biology
1. Ability to identify, formulate and solve research and scientific questions by applying knowledge of mathematics and to areas relevant to the discipline.
2. Skills to formulate or design procedures to meet desired needs.
3. Dexterity to develop and conduct experiments or test hypotheses, analyze, and interpret data and use the scientific method to conclude.
4. An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
5. Ability to understand ethical and professional responsibilities and the impact of scientific solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
6. An ability to function effectively on teams that establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, and analyze risk and uncertainty.
Profile of the graduate of the for the Bachelor of Sciences Major in General Biology
The graduate must be able to:
1. Apply biological knowledge to help solve our society’s problems.
2. Using the scientific method and researching in core areas of biology.
3. Mastery of the techniques and research equipment used in the different disciplines of biology.
4. Critical thinking and teamwork skills.
5. Skills of effective, oral, written, and electronic communication in Spanish and English.
6. A sense of respect, commitment to service and sensitivity to others and the environment.
7. Interpersonal skills to work in different work environments.